Thursday, April 26, 2012

Popsicles Aren't Just For The Kids.....

Our Colorado springtime weather has been pretty warm already!  My kiddos are burning through my homemade popsicles each day and I've recently had to become pretty creative with making some new flavors.  With that, I was thinking of making some for my husband and I to have on the back deck for an afternoon snack.  And here is my latest creation:

Coconut Coffee Popsicles

-1 cup of fresh, but iced, coffee (dark roast, organic coffee is great but any variety will do just fine)
-2 cups plain coconut milk* (you can use vanilla coconut milk too, just cut down on the maple syrup)
-1 Tbsp pure maple syrup
-1/2 tsp. cinnamon
Option: 1-2 tsp. unsweetened cocoa powder for a chocolate mocha twist
*Almond milk works well too (plain or vanilla...both are great!)

Put everything in a blender & mix, then pour into popsicle molds!  Makes ~6-8 popsicles depending on your mold size.  Wait for about 8-12 hours until they are fully frozen. 

HANDY NOTE:  This mixture (minus the 1 c. of coffee) makes a really good coffee creamer!!  Mix all of the ingredient together and I reuse an old coffee creamer bottle for storage in our fridge.  We stopped buying coffee creamer a while back and now just make this for the week.  It tastes better, is MUCH healthier, and saves us a bit of money, too. 

2 comments:

  1. Kelly-
    I need a healthier alternative to my creamer. I cannot do coffee without creamer! I've at least done away with sugar AND creamer, but mostly cuz my creamer also has Splenda in it. It might not be so bad if I used a T, but I like a little coffee with my CREAMER, if you know what I mean! I will try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am the same way...a little coffee with my creamer :) That is one of the reasons I needed a 'healthy' creamer! This works well and sometimes I even heat my creamer and add a bit of coffee...it's delicious. It's a fun recipe to play around with and you can add vanilla, hazelnut, or almond extracts for flavored creamer, too. Here's to a big coffee mug cheers :)

    ReplyDelete